compilation of pattern-matching?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 04:58:14 EDT 2009

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> When you tried switching Nil and Cons, did you try it on many examples?
> For a single example a 2-3% could be easily attributed to random
> effects like different instruction cache hit patterns.  If you get it
> consistently over several programs then it seems likely to mean
> something, but I'm not sure what.

I've seen cases where simply inserting a couple of nops in a hot function
improved performance by a significant margin (>10%, IIRC).  The only theory
I could come up with was that there were more branches in a cache line than
the branch prediction cache on this processor could cope with.  I don't
think it was merely an alignment issue.