compilation of pattern-matching?

Tyson Whitehead twhitehead at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 22:41:08 EDT 2009

On March 25, 2009 21:38:55 Claus Reinke wrote:
> If you don't have that kind of control, and generate code as if
> there were no hardware-level optimizations, the resulting
> mismatch will manifest in hard-to-predict variations in
> performance, making it difficult to see how much or why
> speed is lost. No fun.

I would think the ultimate for this would be to be able to feed profiling
information into the compiler.  No messy pragmas all over the code and I would
guess there would be other benefits as well (e.g., inlining decisions).

Of course it's easy to sit back and suggest things like this -- but I would
image quite a whole other kettle of fish to build them.  : )

Cheers!  -Tyson