strace breaks cabal - how to find the problem?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at
Wed Mar 25 12:37:53 EDT 2009

On 2009 Mar 25, at 9:12, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Robin Green wrote:
> This sounds slightly familiar.  The System.Process library uses
> vfork() on Unix systems, which as it turns out helps to avoid some
> race conditions. However, while debugging something in this area
> recently (using strace) I remember seeing different behaviour when
> running under strace.  I suspect that strace is doing something to
> vfork().

strace and vfork don't mix; vfork uses a hack that won't work right
when tracing is enabled.

brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery at
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at