compilation of pattern-matching?

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Tue Mar 24 07:47:16 EDT 2009

The only way to see the impact of very low level things like which way
branches go is to generate assembly code and the make simple
controlled changes of that.
But even doing that is very dodgy since you are subject to the whims
of cache misses etc.

As far as branching goes, conditional branches that are in loops and
that almost always go the same way are free on all modern processors.
The branch predictor will learn quickly which way the the branch goes
and prefetch along the right path.

  -- Lennart