ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.10.2 Release Candidate 1

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at
Thu Mar 19 06:31:33 EDT 2009

Hi Ian,

Ian Lynagh wrote:

> The buildbot is putting "SplitObjs=NO" in mk/ The above log has
> object splitting enabled, which means that there are a lot more .o
> files, which is presumably causing some problem with your ar.
> If you have both a GNU ar and a Solaris ar then it might be worth seeing
> if the other one works. Otherwise, putting "SplitObjs=NO" in mk/
> will work, but at the expense of larger binaries.

I put just GNU ar into my PATH, so GHC build is using Sun ld and GNU ar
and the build runs for much longer and breaks on:

Building hsc2hs-0.67...
[1 of 2] Compiling Paths_hsc2hs     (
dist-install/build/hsc2hs/hsc2hs-tmp/Paths_hsc2hs.o )
[2 of 2] Compiling Main             ( Main.hs,
dist-install/build/hsc2hs/hsc2hs-tmp/Main.o )
Linking dist-install/build/hsc2hs/hsc2hs ...
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/ghc-'
gmake -C haddock install-inplace
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/ghc-'
'/var/tmp/ghc-' ''  \
            '/var/tmp/ghc-' \
            '/var/tmp/ghc-' \
            '$prefix/bin'                                     \
            '$prefix/lib'                                     \
            '$prefix/libexec'                                 \
            '$prefix/dynlib'                                  \
            '$prefix/share'                                 \
            '$prefix/doc'                                     \
            '$prefix/html'                                    \
            '$prefix/haddock'                                 \
            --distpref dist-install                            \
Installing library in
Installing executable(s) in
internal error: error_message(28)
gmake[3]: *** [install-inplace] Error 100
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/ghc-'
gmake[2]: *** [with-stage-2] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/ghc-'
gmake[1]: *** [stage2] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/ghc-'
gmake: *** [bootstrap2] Error 2

The message `internal error: error_message(28)' looks suspiciously, is
there any Sun ar invoked behind the scene? Or isn't this message from
the AR but coming from something else?