[Haskell-cafe] ThreadScope: Request for features for the performance tuning of parallel and concurrent Haskell programs

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 10:42:42 EDT 2009

Ben Lippmeier wrote:

> On 12/03/2009, at 12:24 AM, Satnam Singh wrote:
>> Before making the release I thought it would be an idea to ask people
>> what other features people would find useful or performance tuning. So
>> if you have any suggestions please do let us know!
>>

> Is it available in a branch somewhere to try out?

There are three parts to it:

  - some patches to GHC to generate the log files.  The patches are
    not yet in, but I hope to get them in in the next couple of weeks.

  - a Haskell library for parsing the log files.  This will be up
    on Hackage soon.  You can use this to write your own analysis
    tools, visualisers, or whatever.

  - The ThreadScope viewer itself, which will also be up on Hackage
    as soon as its ready.

So we fully intend to get this out there ASAP, although until GHC 6.12 is
released you will need to use a GHC snapshot to generate the log files.