[darcs-users] dropping GHC 6.6 support

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu Jun 11 10:08:26 EDT 2009

[redirecting to ghc-users also]

Matthias Kilian wrote:
>> (Which as I understood would make porting a newer ghc to OpenBSD easier).
>
> Yes. The only alternatives would be to provide precompiled binaries
> (which is ugly, imho) or to maintain several versions of ghc in the
> ports tree (which is a maintainance nightmare).

.hc files are ugly too; IMO about as ugly as precompiled binaries (.hc
are platform specific and practically unreadable, just like binaries).
At least the GHC HQ think so: currently bootstrapping-from-HC only works
unregisterised (so it will be slow. Also, inherently, won't ever use
GHC's NCG :-) (native code generator) )

-Isaac