Unpacking multi-type constructors

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 21 04:11:27 EDT 2009

Nice idea, but I'm not yet convinced that it would work well in practice.

First, there's an exponential explosion in the number of constructors required.  Anything with an exponential is worrying.

Second, you presumably do not want massive code duplication.  So I assume that if you start with

case x of { Node i n2 n2) -> e

then you'll desugar to something like this:

                let fj i n1 n2 = e
                in
                case x of
                                Node1 I -> fj i Nothing Nothing
                                Node2 I n1 -> fj I (Just n1) Nothing
                                ... etc for other cases...

This doesn't look like a win, because you end up allocating the (Just n1) things anyway!

So maybe you want to *duplicate* e, so you generate
                case x of
                                Node1 I -> e[Nothing/n1, Nothing/n2]
                                Node2 I n1 -> e[Just n1/n1, Nothing/n2]
                                ... etc for other cases...

But now you not only have an exponential number of branches: in each of those branches you duplicate an arbitrarily large expression e. That doesn't look attractive to me.

Simon