the impossible happened, large static list.

Philip Weaver philip.weaver at
Wed Jan 28 17:18:47 EST 2009

Hello.  I think I've seen other people encounter this problem before, but I
wasn't able to find the solution, if there is one.

I have a very large static list of type [[Int]].  It is 128 lists of 128
integers each.  When I try to load the module that defines this list, I get
an error:

   ghc: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
     (GHC version 6.10.1 for i386-apple-darwin):
           linkBCO: >= 64k insns in BCO

   Please report this as a GHC bug:

This happens on both linux and mac os, both ghc-6.8.3 and ghc-6.10.1, and
both GHC and GHCi.  Is there anything I can do to avoid this?  Thanks!

- Philip