Pragma not recognised when wrapped in #ifdef

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 04:11:15 EST 2009

Hi

> Is there still a need for CPP now that Template Haskell exists?

Yes. For a start you might need CPP to switch between Haskell
compilers that do and don't support Template Haskell! Both
technologies do different things, CPP is great for conditional
compilation based on compiler version/features - i.e. using either
deriving (Eq) or deriving (Data,Typeable,Eq) where the latter is
supported. Also for doing imports which have changed between versions,
i.e. import Data.Data or Data.Generics depending on version.

Using the CPP textual replacement/macro substitution facilities is
more debatable, and in many of these cases Template Haskell is a
better choice.

Thanks

Neil