:info features

Remi Turk rturk at science.uva.nl
Mon Feb 9 11:10:48 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:39:03AM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On 2009 Feb 5, at 5:49, Remi Turk wrote:
>> SPJ agreed with the idea itself, but suggested an alternative set of
>> commands:
>>
>>   :info Show        -- See class definition only
>>   :instances Show   -- See instances of Show
> (...)
>> However, it would make ":i" ambiguous, which is rather sad.
>
> :class Show -- unique prefix :cl, already many such collisions
> :instance Show

That could work, but then how to get information about types as
opposed to classes? Its not in the above example, but "Show"
actually stands for an arbitrary typeclass _or type_.

However, as igloo pointed out on the ticket, abbreviations don't
actually have to be unique:

 "For example, :b means :break even though we also have :back, :browse and :browse!. " [1]

That would personally lead me to prefer the :info/:instances
combo, with :i as an abbreviation of :info.

Groeten, Remi

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2986#comment:4