parList implementation question

Marcus D. Gabriel marcus at gabriel.name
Mon Dec 21 11:43:43 EST 2009

Thank you Simon, I will obtain parallel 2.2.0.1 and work with it.
Actually, the reason I asked my question was because I did not
think forceParList should yield better performance than parList
(unless it was becasue of the foldl?).

I read the release notes for 6.12.1 about the work done on the ghc
parallel framework and did just a little bit more experimenting.
You might find this of interesting.

ghc 6.10.4 with parallel 1.1.0.1 (as reported before):
    Serial algorithm:                        1.00 unit of time
    Parallel algorithm with parList:         0.81 units of time
    Parallel algorithm with forceParList:    0.58 units of time

ghc 6.12.1 with parallel 1.1.0.1:
    Serial algorithm:                        1.00 unit of time
    Parallel algorithm with parList:         0.58 units of time*
    Parallel algorithm with forceParList:    0.58 units of time*

Interesting.  Well, from my perspective, 6.12.1 is certainly an
improvement here.

Cheers,
- Marcus