Running GHC 6.10.* on OpenBSD

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Sat Dec 12 09:03:17 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 03:29:09PM +0200, Thanos Tsouanas wrote:
> > No need for 6.8, you can build 6.10 straight with 6.6.
>
> Ok, I guess I didn't try hard enough..

Probably just

	--with-iconv-includes=/usr/local/include \
	--with-iconv-libraries=/usr/local/lib

missing to ./configure. Everything else should work fine nowadays.

> >> IMHO cross-compilation is no go
> >> in this case since I hope I'm right assuming this is not supported in
> >> 6.10, but was fixed in 6.12 again.
> >
> > Kind of. There are still issues with *real* porting to other platforms
> > (#3472, probably more), but it's possible to create hc bootstrapping
> > filesets and use them to bootstrap on the same platform. Even if
> > this sounds kind of useless, it'll help a lot updating the OpenBSD
> > port.
>
> Then it's worth a shot.  How would I create those hc bootstrapping
> filesets?  Using the system's ghc-6.6.1?

If all you want is a working ghc-6.10, please don't waste your time
with bootstrapping filesets. Just use ghc-6.6.1 and build ghc-6.10
from it (and, if you want to, build ghc-6.12 from ghc-6.10).

BTW: if you're using my scripts, you'll probably also have to install
(apart from ghc-6.6.1) alex, darcs, gmake, haddock, happy, hscolour
and python (version  2.5). All available as precompiled packages
for OpenBSD (amd64 and i386).

Ciao,
	Kili