Formal semantics for Core?

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at
Thu Dec 10 17:00:42 EST 2009

On 11/30/09, Matthijs Kooijman <matthijs at> wrote:
> Hi All,
>  I was wondering if there are any formal semantics defined for GHC's core
>  language? I'm working with some core to core rewriting passes for which I'd
>  like to verify the soundness, but that would require some formal definition of
>  the Core semantics of sorts...

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but the extcore package
includes a typechecker and interpreter that provide an executable
static and dynamic semantics for External Core (which is similar to
the Core language that GHC uses externally, but not quite the same):

Tim Chevalier * * Often in error, never in doubt
"Do we learn from our mistakes? I surely hope not / Takes all the fun
out of making them again." -- Trout Fishing In America