Libraries in the repo

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 28 12:24:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 11:42 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> Can anyone think of a good reason not to upgrade darcs to 2.3.0 on
> darcs.haskell.org?  I can think of 3 reasons to do so:
>
>   - this script, for preventing accidental divergence from upstream
>   - faster pushes, due to transfer-mode
>   - hide those annoying "Ignore-this: xxxxx" messages

By the way, people who regularly work with the ghc repos (at least on
Linux) and who are thinking of upgrading to darcs-2.3.0 should heed this
advice:

        Use "darcs get" to get your repos again. Not remotely, just
        locally. This switches them from darcs1 traditional format to
        darcs1 hashed format.

        If you do this, then "darcs whatsnew" gets ~4 times quicker.

        If you do not do this, then "darcs whatsnew" gets ~100 times
        slower.

All times measured on Linux, local ext3 filesystem, ghc testsuite repo.