Building just a stage 1 compiler?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 07:06:41 EDT 2009

On 19/08/2009 00:15, Tim Chevalier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to tell the GHC build system that I only want to build
> a stage 1 compiler and the libraries, not a stage 2 compiler?
> Executing:
> $ sh boot
> $ ./configure
> $ make stage=1
>
> in my build tree still builds the stage 2 compiler as well.

I'm surprised that the above builds stage 2.  I'd expect it to fail,
because stage=1 will omit the build instructions for stage 2, and then
the build system will try to build things like Haddock which depend on
stage 2, at which point the build should fail.

There's no way at the moment to build just stage1 and the libraries from
the top-level, but that could be added.  You can 'cd ghc; make stage=1'
and then 'cd libraries; make'.