Haskell Platform 2009.2.0.2

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 10 11:38:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 15:12 +0200, Christian Maeder wrote:
> Don Stewart wrote:
> > Heads up lads, we're about 24 hours from Haskell Platform 2009.2.0.2
> >
> >     http://code.haskell.org/haskell-platform/haskell-platform.cabal
>
> I still see
>
>     time          ==1.1.2.4,
>
> although ghc-6.10.4 comes with:
>
>    time-1.1.4
>
> http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/ticket/74
>
> Is this on purpose (possibly installing two time versions)?

Yes it is on purpose. The HP policy is to keep the same API for a whole
major release series. That is, the API of packages included in each
minor release of 2009.2.0.x are the same. The initial release 2009.2.0
included time-1.1.2.4 and so subsequent releases must use a compatible
version.

Version of time in the "extralibs" tarball in ghc-6.10.x releases:

 * GHC-6.10.1: time-1.1.2.4
 * GHC-6.10.2: none
 * GHC-6.10.3: time-1.1.3
 * GHC-6.10.4: time-1.1.4

So we have the current situation where the HP supplies one version and
ghc's extralibs tarball includes a different version. As far as I know,
the windows and osx HP installers (which include ghc) only include one
version of time. For the source installer of course we cannot control
other pre-existing versions.

> I only know that time-1.1.4 and time-1.1.3 supply more Typeable
> instances (which may break existing code)

Right, that's not allowed in a HP minor release as it's an API change.

Duncan