use gtar and not tar under solaris

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Fri Aug 7 07:14:02 EDT 2009

Christian Maeder wrote:
> Matthias Kilian wrote:
>> However, to create an archive, you can use something like
>>
>> $ pax -wf foo.tar directory
>
> Do you think "gtar --format=posix" would be different from pax?
>
> The only question is, if we should create archives using the ustar,
> posix/pax, or gnu format. ustar seems to be the least common
> denominator. Does ustar have any disadvantages?

My plain tar command under solaris cannot handle the pax files, too.
So ustar archives should be created (at least under solaris).

But I don't know why the ustar format can handle long file names,
whereas the gnu format creates a "@LongLink" file and pax a "PaxHeader"
file (when unpacked with tar).

Cheers Christian