Current GHC core documentation.

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 18:00:53 EDT 2009

On 8/3/09, Richard Kelsall <r.kelsall at millstream.com> wrote:
> This page
>
>  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/documentation.html
>
>  has a link to the September 2001 (Draft for GHC 5.02) document
>  describing GHC Core (in what is for me user-hostile .ps.gz format.)
>
>  And this page
>
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/ext-core.html
>
>  promises an easier format PDF document, but the link is broken.

Thanks, I reopened the Trac ticket on that documentation bug:

>  I did eventually find the 1st April 2009 GHC 6.10 document here
>
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.10.2/html/ext-core/core.pdf
>
>  and a bit on this page
>
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/options-debugging.html#id468571
>
>  about GHC core. I haven't read these yet, but could I ask whether they
>  constitute the complete current documentation for GHC core? (I'm just
>  curious to get a flavour of what core does.)

The PDF file is the complete documentation for External Core, along
with the typechecker and interpreter (providing a static and dynamic
semantics for External Core) under utils/ext-core in the GHC source
tree. The version of Core described in the user manual is a little
different.

If you have questions about any of the abovementioned documentation,
please CC both me and this list, as I don't read the GHC lists often.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an