Threads and memory management

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 06:29:18 EDT 2009

Hello Simon,

> This is a very strange result: the user time should not *decrease*, but
> rather should stay the same or increase a bit when adding cores.  If

ability to run two threads simultaneous may increase performance in
some scenarios. one example is consumer+producer threads. with 2
OS threads all produced data are consumed immediately, so we live
inside L2 cache. with 1 OS thread produced data overflow the cache
before threads are switched, making execution much slower

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com