No "last core parallel slowdown" on OS X

Tyson Whitehead twhitehead at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 00:59:12 EDT 2009

On April 18, 2009 16:46:44 Daniel Peebles wrote:
> That looks great! I wonder what about Mac OS leads to such good
> performance...
>
> Now if only we could get a nice x86_64-producing GHC for Mac OS too, I
> could use all my RAM and the extra registers my Mac Pro gives me :)

I was a bit surprised when I read the initial report because

1-  I thought GHC had a hard time with 32bit x86 code due to the integer
register pressure and hacking around the stack based FPU, and

2-  I though OS X had multithreading performance issues (or at least that is
what I had read in various reports regarding using it as a server).

This leave me wondering how do the absolute numbers compare?  Could the extra
overhead due to the various 32bit issues be giving more room for better
threading performance?  What do you get if you use 32bit GHC with Linux?

Cheers!  -Tyson