Unable to compile ghc from darcs

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:41:56 EDT 2009

Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>     Simon> Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>     >>>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> writes:
>     >>
>     >> >> 6.11.20090319 (formerly bootstrapped from 6.10.1).
>     >>
>     Simon> Ah, there's your problem.  In general you can't bootstrap
>     Simon> GHC using a development snapshot, we only support building
>     Simon> using fixed released versions.
>     >>
>     >> So I re-installed ghc 6.10.1.
>     >>
>     >> Same problem.
>     >>
>     >> N.B. haddock --version now reports 2.3.0
>
>     Simon> I have to ask - you did do a complete 'make distclean'
>     Simon> etc. before rebuilding?
>
> I did.
>
>     Simon> If so, could you send me a complete log of the build.
>
> My xterm window doesn't have a big enough buffer. Should I run the
> complete procedure (starting with make distclean) all over again,
> diverting output and error to a file?

Yes, I normally do it like this: 'make |& tee log' (or if you're using an
impoverished shell, 'make 2>&1 | tee log').

The build seems to be working smoothly for most people at the moment, so
I'm fairly sure this is something specific to your setup somehow.  Could
you check for things like local changes:

$ ./darcs-all w -s
$ ./push-all http://darcs.haskell.org/ --dry-run