GHC on Solaris/SPARC?

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 02:28:38 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am having trouble with precompiled binary
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/6.8.3/maeder/ghc-6.8.3-sparc-sun-solaris2.tar.bz2
.

My first problem was that the machine is 64-bit SPARC while the binary seems
to be 32-bit. Since the dynamically linked GHC binary requires additional
.so files to run, any libs which I try to compile on the machine itself run
into ELF class incompatibility errors. So I tried installing prebuilt
packages from http://sunfreeware.com/, and spent a couple hours grokking the
Solaris package system before I figured out how to extract the right files.
Now I think I have the right libs installed, but when I try to run GHC, I
get this:

-bash-3.00$ runhaskell Setup configure
ld.so.1: ghc-6.8.3: fatal: relocation error: file
/home/.../lib/libncurses.so.5: symbol main: referenced symbol not found

(FYI, I got ncurses 5.6 from
http://sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc10.html#ncurses.)

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks in advance.

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere." - Frank
Herbert