ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.10.1 beta

Matthias Kilian kili at
Mon Sep 29 16:26:35 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 07:07:33PM +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> And my problem with the testsuite was a PEBKAC (of course): on
> OpenBSD, python is installed as python-2.3, python-2.4, python-2.5
> (you can have several versions installed in parallel), which isn't
> found by configure, which in turn lets the testsuite bail out.
> Setting PythonCmd during configure fixed it.
> I've yet to evaluate the results of the testsuite. I'll post it in
> a few hours.

Summary (skipping all the details):

OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Sun Sep 28 17:57:33 CEST 2008
    2233 total tests, which gave rise to
   12011 test cases, of which
       0 caused framework failures
    2244 were skipped

    9324 expected passes
     140 expected failures
      20 unexpected passes
     283 unexpected failures

This looks more scary than it is; many unexpected failures are
caused by a change in Rational formatin ("17%42" vs. "17 % 42"),
some others are probably caused by OpenBSD specific stuff (e.g.,
warnings about the use of unsafe functions like strcpy(3), different
output behaviour on signals like SIGSEGV, and, well the unicode
(causing unexpected passes) and some threading differences are most
probably also OS-dependent candidates). Some problems are not
strictly OpenBSD specific, but just triggered due to the more
restrictive default limits (number of open file descriptors, datasize,
etc.). Finally, some tests just did time out (this isn't the fastest
machine in the universe).

A full test log is available at

And a shorter log (using a really horrible awk script for stripping down
the full log):

Fallout from the following tests looks a little bit suspicious:

galois_raytrace (well, I didn't read the whol diff ;-))
driver019 (I think a fix for this has been pushed during the last 24 hours)
all the hpc stuff
copyFile001 (but there was a push for it recently, IIRC)