6.10-candidate tested

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Mon Sep 29 07:54:36 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 07:18:28PM +0200, Christian Maeder wrote:
> Serge D. Mechveliani wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 05:32:51PM +0200, Christian Maeder wrote:
> >> Do you have libedit on your linux machine (because I haven't)?
> >>

> > I do not know what is  libedit  and where to find it.
>
> It's the library needed for editline
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/editline
>
> editline is the replacement of readline.
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/readline
>
> > 1. ghc-pkg list   does not show the  editline  package.
> > 2. The arrow keys and backspace do not work in  ghci.
> > This is so -- on my machine, under Debian Linux.
>
> The advantage is ghci works without editline and readline. The
> disadvantage is if you want arrow keys and backspace to work, you should
> have installed http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/ first.
>
> > Is this due to some deficiency in Debian Linux installation or this is
> > a bug in the GHC installation?
>
> A (debian) package manager could install editline (and gmp) before ghc.
> (Unfortunately user programs may depend on those extra libraries, too.)

As I recall, earlier, there were needed for GHC the shared libraries
gmp  and  libreadline.so*
As I understand, I need now to install the shared library  editline
instead of  libreadline. Is this so?

But maybe, the installation procedure
(configure  command or  make install  command) should
search for  editline, gmp, and such,  and report an error if the GHC
installation does not find them?

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru