GADTs and functional dependencies

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 26 12:08:24 EDT 2008

By "global" I really meant "throughout the scope of the type variable concerned.

Nevertheless, the program you give is rejected, even though the scope is global:

  class FD a b | a -> b

  f :: (FD t1 t2, FD t1 t3) => t1 -> t2 -> t3
  f x y = y

Both GHC and Hugs erroneously reject the program, just as they do this one
  instance FD Int Bool
  g :: FD Int b => ...

The problem is that the implementation technique for FDs used by GHC and Hugs (global unification) isn't up to the job.  That is what we are fixing with type functions.  I do not know how to fix it for FDs (except by way of translation to TFs) -- at least, not while maintaining a strongly typed intermediate language.  This latter constraint is a condition imposed by GHC, but it's one I am strongly committed to.

Simon