Instances and DoCon

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Sat Sep 20 03:52:22 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 08:17:12PM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:44:53AM +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> > |
> > | And still ghc-6.8.3 builds itself from source.
> >
> > I have no idea how -- Happy has been needed for some time.  Maybe someone else does.
>
> It's not meant to be needed for building from a source tarball.
> This should be fixed now.

Dear GHC team,
can you, please, provide such GHC source distributives which require
possibly smaller set of programs for the user to separately pre-install?
For example, do not require of the user to install Alex, Happy and Cabal.

Because we write applications in Haskell. For example, the user needs to
program algebra by using some CA library written in Haskell. One needs to
install GHC -- and the simpler the better. In this situation, it is bad
to force him to think of what is Alex or Happy, and where to find them and
how to install. The least hindrance in installation makes some users to
reject the tool:
"Oh! looks messy, suspicious thing. I tried the binary, but it reports of
wrong libarary versions. I have already spent one hough! Also these pure
functional languages look restrictive ... Let me better try the Foo system".

Regards,

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru