-optl-s (strip) by default

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 08:54:29 EDT 2008

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Don,
> Friday, September 12, 2008, 12:54:22 PM, you wrote:
>>> when GHC builds executable, it adds debug info by default. since this
>> You can also achieve this by making sure your deployed programs build
>> with Cabal,
>> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cabal-devel/2008-March/002427.html
>> No need to hack GHC's view of the linker.
> btw, it seems like hack in 3rd party tool to fix weird default ghc behavior

It might be weird, but it's traditional.  Also the symbol information is
sometimes useful: for example on Linux Valgrind understands it and can tell
you which function has memory errors, or give you a profile (perhaps only
useful for people working on the RTS like me).

I don't feel that strongly about it though.