making Happy-1.17

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Wed Sep 17 07:20:51 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 11:10:17AM +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Why not grab a binary distribution?
>
> [..]
> |   cd ~/happy/happy-1.17/
> |   runhaskell Setup.lhs configure -v --ghc
> |                           --prefix=/home/mechvel/happy/happy-1.17/inst

I thank people who advised me on my recent request about installing
GHC snapshot and Happy.
The result of the whole investigation is as follows.

1. Installing   ghc-6.9.20080907-i386-unknown-linux.tar.bz2
   (from binary) leads to
 ./configure --prefix=...
 make install
 -------------
 installPackage: Saved package config file seems to be corrupt.
 Try re-running the 'configure' command.

2. To `make' a  ghc-6.9 snapshot from source by GHC,
   I need to first install Happy and Alex.

3. I discovered that the simplest way to install Happy and Alex
   on my Debian Linux, i386 is to command
   apt-get install happy
   apt-get install alex
-- because they are in the Debian Linux distributive.

Now, `making' of ghc-6.9.. is in progress, I hope, it will succeed.

Regards,

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru