Is FPH implemented in GHC?

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Mon Sep 15 07:48:36 EDT 2008

Am Sonntag, 14. September 2008 16:11 schrieben Sie:
> | To implement all this stuff, I had to do quite a bit of code obfuscation.
> | That is, I introduced a lot of trivial functions only to give them an
> | explicit impredicative/rank 2 type signature.
>
> But impredicative is not the same as rank-2.  GHC has done higher-rank
> types for ages; but impredicative instantiation is a different story.  Are
> you sure that's the bit you need?  Can you give an example?
>
> Simon

Hello Simon,

I know that rank 2 is something different.  I need both, rank 2 and
impredicativity.  I already mentioned the (impredicative) type
SSignal t (forall t'. SignalFun t' a).  The full type of my switch operator is
SSignal t (forall t'. SignalFun t' a) -> SignalFun t a.

Some of the trivial functions, I mentioned above, have rank 2 types, some have
impredicative types.  The latter ones typically have types of the form

    f (forall t. signal t a) -> f (forall t. signal' t a')

where f is some specific functor.

And as far as I understood, FPH brings advantages for both rank n and
impredicativity.  Am I wrong at this point?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang