Can't compile GHC 6.8.2

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 05:28:10 EST 2008

> On Monday 24 November 2008 23:15, Barney Stratford wrote:
>> There's good news and bad news. The good news is that the compilation of
>> my shiny almost-new GHC is complete. The bad news is, it won't link.
>> It's grumbling about
>>
>> ld:
>> /System/Fink/src/fink.build/ghc-6.8.2-1/ghc-6.8.2/rts/libHSrts.a(PrimOps.o)
>> has external relocation entries in non-writable section (__TEXT,__text)
>> for symbols:
>> ___gmpn_cmp
----------- etc. ----------

IMO, many apple dev. tools are insidiously broken (Apple's cpp is my
current nemesis).  Could you try using a different linker?  That might
be a sufficient workaround.  You could call gcc with the correct
arguments to complete the linking phase, rather than ld (or
vice-versa).

The only other suggestion I've seen is to re-order the exported
functions before compiling the library.  I don't know if this would
help in your case, but it has worked with other libraries.

That's the best I can suggest, anyway.

John