Can't compile GHC 6.8.2

Thorkil Naur naur at post11.tele.dk
Mon Nov 24 17:41:48 EST 2008

Hello,

On Monday 24 November 2008 23:15, Barney Stratford wrote:
> There's good news and bad news. The good news is that the compilation of
> my shiny almost-new GHC is complete. The bad news is, it won't link.
> It's grumbling about
>
> ld:
> /System/Fink/src/fink.build/ghc-6.8.2-1/ghc-6.8.2/rts/libHSrts.a(PrimOps.o)
> has external relocation entries in non-writable section (__TEXT,__text)
> for symbols:
> ___gmpn_cmp
> ___gmpn_gcd_1
> ___gmpz_fdiv_qr
> ___gmpz_init
> ___gmpz_tdiv_qr
> ___gmpz_com
> ___gmpz_xor
> ___gmpz_ior
> ___gmpz_and
> ___gmpz_divexact
> ___gmpz_tdiv_r
> ___gmpz_tdiv_q
> ___gmpz_gcd
> ___gmpz_mul
> ___gmpz_sub
> ___gmpz_add
>
> Looking through the archives, it seems like this is an old favourite bug
> rearing its ugly head again. The suggested remedy of commenting out the
> line reading "SRC_HC_OPTS += -fvia-C" in the Makefile won't work, as
> that line isn't there anyway. The manpage for ld has an option
> "-read_only_relocs warning" that looks like it might suppress this
> problem, but I don't fully understand what it's doing.
>
> What would you suggest?

The heading seems to be: Your build is missing it's required GMP (GNU Multiple
Precision) library which is used for the Haskell Integer type. Whether this
information is enough to get you going again, I cannot tell, as I have no
experience with your particular circumstances: There may be additional
problems ahead getting this library installed and making sure that it gets
referred from all the right places. But that seems to be the answer: Get GMP,
install it, and make sure that linking and running Haskell code (not least
GHC itself) have access.