ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Nov 23 13:26:24 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 01:49:43PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 14:01 +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
>
> >   * Move to Haskeline for the default build.  We have to bring in terminfo
> >     and utf8-string as bootlibs.  This gives us line-editing on Windows,
> >     and removes problematic external C library dependencies.
>
> I think this is worth trying. It seems like Judah is prepared to put the
> work in to make haskeline work on various platforms and to trim the
> dependencies.
>
> Eg I'd rather us decide what to do about Unicode input rather than just
> end up de-facto standardising the utf8-string package.

Right, if we're targetting this for 6.12 then there's no rush (and we
have some time until 6.10.2, too, if we decide to change things for
that). I think we should step back and think about whether utf8-string
is the package that we're going to want to use for:
* IO in the base libraries
* The ptext function in Text.PrettyPrint
* Implementing FastString on top of
as we really want all of these to use the same library.

Thanks
Ian