ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - MacOS installer

Gregory Wright gwright at comcast.net
Fri Nov 21 09:56:55 EST 2008

Hi Jason,

On Nov 21, 2008, at 8:09 AM, Jason Dagit wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:28 AM, Manuel M T Chakravarty
> <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>> Jason Dagit:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty
>> <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ian Lynagh:

>>> A current limitation of the MacOS package system is that it does not
>>> support uninstalling of packages; cf
>>>

>>> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/SoftwareDistribution/Managed_Installs/chapter_5_section_7.html#/
>>> /apple_ref/doc/uid/10000145i-CH6-DontLinkElementID_29
>>>
>>> This is not a big drama on MacOS, as MacOS encourages the
>>> distribution of
>>> software packages as "bundles":
>>>

>>> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFBundles/CFBundles.html
>>>
>>> This essentially means that instead of sprinkling files all over
>>> the file
>>> system (as is common in other OSes), MacOS applications and
>>> frameworks
>>> (Mac-speak for libraries) are kept in a single directory.
>>> Uninstalling then
>>> means doing an rm -rf on that directory.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, some applications (including GHC and Apple's Xcode
>>> IDE)
>>> can't be entirely contained in a single directory.  In the case of
>>> GHC, we
>>> want symlinks in /usr/bin.  The established way of uninstalling such
>>> applications is by supplying an Uninstaller script, just as I did
>>> for GHC.
>>> (Apple does the same for Xcode.)
>>>
>>> The purpose of the Uninstaller script is too completely remove
>>> GHC.framework from a machine - not just to remove one version.  In
>>> fact, if
>>> more than one version of GHC is installed, the Uninstaller will
>>> refuse to
>>> run and require the manual removal of all versions, but the
>>> current (easily
>>> achieved by a "rm -rf
>>> /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions/<version>").  The main
>>> feature of
>>> the Uninstaller script is to get rid of all symlinks pointing into
>>> GHC.framework.  The framework itself is just deleted by a "rm -rf"
>>> as
>>> expected.  (It also removes the above mentioned receipt file.)
>>>
>>> So, to directly answer the above questions:
>>> * The package manger (which uses the receipts) can't uninstall and
>>> the
>>> uninstaller script doesn't need the receipt.  So, even after
>>> deleteing the
>>> receibt, you can still uninstall.
>>> * The Uninstaller can uninstall any version (at least as long as no
>>> symlinks are put into new directories outside of the bundle that the
>>> Uninstaller doesn't know about).
>>
>> Is there an update on this thread?  I would still like to have my
>> cake and
>> eat it too, meaning ghc 6.8.3 and ghc 6.10.1.  As far as I know the
> [...]

The latest MacPorts ghc 6.10.1 fixes a number of build bugs and might
work
for you.  It builds on ppc/Tiger, i386/Leopard and i386/Tiger.  ppc/
Leopard still
fails, but I now have an account on a machine that I can use to test
and debug.

If you could send a detailed log of the failure to find "-lgmp" I
would appreciate it.
I've fixed two different bugs involving the library path that caused
this symptom.
It would be good to know if your failure is covered by the existing
patches.

I'll send the patches upstream along with bug tickets in the next few
days.

Best Wishes,
Greg