ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 04:49:47 EST 2008

Philip Hölzenspies wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2008, at 6:25 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>> Would it be worth adding this hard-won lore somewhere on a Wiki where
>> it can be found later?
>
> Dear Simon, all,
>
> I don't think logging a specific option on the Wiki is particularly
> useful (maybe you would have a default editrc file), because, of course,
> everybody has their own particular wishes. For example, aside from the
> word-jumping Duncan suggested, I alway use zsh-like history searching,
> so I like:
>
> bind "^[[A" ed-search-prev-history
> bind "^[[B" ed-search-next-history
>
> Also, there are no de facto escape sequences, because special keys (like
> function and arrow keys) have different sequences on different
> terminals. A useful tip that may be useful to include in the wiki is an
> easy trick that will help you find out your terminals escape sequences.
> I usually just like to start an application that has no editline or
> readline capabilities and press the keys. Telnet is one of my favorite
> applications for this purpose.

But this is abhorrent.

The whole point of the existence of termcap and libraries which build
upon it (ncurses, readline, editline, etc) is so that individual users
do not have to work out what the escape sequences produced by their
terminal are.

Something must be very very broken : surely it is not expected behaviour
for editline to need configuration in this way?

Jules