mmap() returned memory outside 2Gb - GHC on ubuntu hardy amd64

Rahul Kapoor rk at trie.org
Fri Nov 14 11:07:35 EST 2008

I cannot get GHC to work on a fresh ubuntu hardy machine:

On installing using the package manager I get an error when
running ghci:

 "R_X86_64_32S relocation out of range:" - similar to
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2013, but that bug is
FreeBSD specific.

I decided to install the binary distribution: after which running
ghci fails with error:

GHCi, version 6.10.1: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
ghc: internal error: mmap() returned memory outside 2Gb
    (GHC version 6.10.1 for x86_64_unknown_linux)
    Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
Aborted

I Added issues #2779 to Trac for the second case.

Are there any possible work arounds for these problems?

Rahul