[Haskell-cafe] How to getCh on MS Windows command line?

Bayley, Alistair Alistair.Bayley at invesco.com
Mon Nov 10 09:27:25 EST 2008

> From: glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf
> Of Simon Marlow
>
> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> > 흐壹o 鉅,
> >
> > 工賊嫂, 膠墮將奄 굅, 껐갭, 맏굡별9 죌, 闔u 破訂佯
>
> Please stick to English on this list, thanks.
>
> Simon

Actualy it was english, it's just that the encoding was wrong. In Outlook I manually changed the encoding to US-ASCII, and got the message below. I'm not sure why other 8-bit encoding options failed (like Western Europen (ISO).

Alistair

Hello Ki,

Monday, November 10, 2008, 8:16:09 AM, you wrote:

> What I mean by getCh is the non-buffered non-echoed version of getChar,
> which Hugs used to provided as an extension but not any more.

1. works for me in ghc:

getHiddenChar = liftM (chr.fromEnum) c_getch
foreign import ccall unsafe "conio.h getch"
   c_getch :: IO CInt

2. setBufferingMode stdin NoBuffering

not tested

3. use interact. i definitely remember that i had effect you need this
way. probably it was with some hugs version, but i don't remeber
details

4. these days it's not very hard to install free VMWare Player, get
preinstalled linux image and install hugs/ghc there

--
Best regards,
 Bulat