editline in ghc-6.10.1 under Solaris

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Mon Nov 10 07:24:44 EST 2008

Hallo Judah,

I've build
and it was linked against libcurses:

-bash-3.1$ ldd /usr/local/lib/libedit.so.0
        libcurses.so.1 =>        /lib/libcurses.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
        libgcc_s.so.1 =>
        libm.so.2 =>     /lib/libm.so.2

When building ghc-6.10.1 your configure script prefers ncurses over
curses, therefore I get an additional dependency for ghc:

        libncurses.so.5 =>       /usr/local/lib/libncurses.so.5

For (the usual) dynamic linking just "-ledit" is enough, only for static
linking "-lcurses" or "-lncurses" is needed, otherwise "term.o" is the
"Undefined symbol".

(By chance, I've only libncurses.a and no libcurses.a for static linking.)

I'm not sure which dependency to prefer. configure of
libedit-20080712-2.1 prefers curses over ncurses.

Cheers Christian

P.S. While relinking the stage2 compiler I'll noticed that also haddock
depends on libedit which I think should be avoided (by splitting the ghc

Which other ghc-6.10.1 binaries depend on libedit?

My PC binary distribution is here:

I did not succeed to build ghc-6.10.1 for a Sparc