ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminalincompatibility?

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sun Nov 9 09:59:55 EST 2008

>> It's a shame this doesn't just work out of the box in an xterm, on
>> Debian at least. Perhaps we should consider switching to haskeline? Do
>> we know anything about how portable and complete that is?

If a haskell-based solution could be made to work, that would be
great - if you think that editline somehow less nice than readline,
consider us poor windows users: we have neither!

> Note that haskeline has a lot of dependencies and requires
> TemplateHaskell and many other language extensions.

Talking about dependencies of cabal packages:

- some packages depend on everything and the kitchen-sink,
    following the "ah, great, here's another package I should use"
    idea of what it means to provide a modern haskell package.

    It would be nice if package authors would consider separate minimal
    and extended dependencies, the former sufficient to enable the package
    functionality, the latter enabled by a flag, and only needed for testing
    frameworks, parser re-generation, convenience, performance, ..

- since Duncan has put in the work for making meta-packages possible
    for the Haskell Platform anyway, couldn't that be used to group typical
    dependencies together (eg, ghc corelibs, old extralibs, haskell platform,
    testing, ..), to make those dependency lists on hackage somewhat
    easier to comprehend?

    Probably, hackage/cabal could offer some support for reducing
    detailed dependencies to standard dependency groups.

Claus