ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at
Fri Nov 7 13:09:06 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 09:14 -0800, Judah Jacobson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Duncan Coutts
> <duncan.coutts at> wrote:
> >
> > I get some working and some non-working. Eg backspace, del, home, end
> > work, but the ctl-left/ctl-right to jump words does not.
> >
> > Does anyone know how libedit is supposed to be configured? readline
> > uses /etc/inputrc but libedit either does not or doesn't understand all
> > of it.
> >
> > /me wonders if it was really necessary to switch from readline
> >
> > Duncan
> You can configure libedit with a ~/.editrc file.

Thanks Judah.

To save everyone else having to read the man page and working out
through trial and error what the key escape codes are, add the following
to your ~/.editrc file.

# mappings for Ctrl-left-arrow and Ctrl-right-arrow for word moving
bind "\e[1;5D" vi-prev-word
bind "\e[1;5C" vi-next-word

(though from reading the readline /etc/inputrc it suggests that "\e[5C"
and "\e[5D" might be right on some systems)

It's unfortunate that editline does not seem to support any
global /etc/editrc file which would enable distros to make it do the
right thing by default like they do for readline.