ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - EditLine / terminal incompatibility?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 7 13:09:06 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 09:14 -0800, Judah Jacobson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Duncan Coutts
> <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I get some working and some non-working. Eg backspace, del, home, end
> > work, but the ctl-left/ctl-right to jump words does not.
> >
> > Does anyone know how libedit is supposed to be configured? readline
> > uses /etc/inputrc but libedit either does not or doesn't understand all
> > of it.
> >
> > /me wonders if it was really necessary to switch from readline
> >
> > Duncan
>
> You can configure libedit with a ~/.editrc file.
>
> http://www.manpagez.com/man/5/editrc/

Thanks Judah.

To save everyone else having to read the man page and working out
through trial and error what the key escape codes are, add the following
to your ~/.editrc file.

# mappings for Ctrl-left-arrow and Ctrl-right-arrow for word moving
bind "\e[1;5D" vi-prev-word
bind "\e[1;5C" vi-next-word

(though from reading the readline /etc/inputrc it suggests that "\e[5C"
and "\e[5D" might be right on some systems)

It's unfortunate that editline does not seem to support any
global /etc/editrc file which would enable distros to make it do the
right thing by default like they do for readline.

Duncan