ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - MacOS installer

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Nov 5 08:37:45 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 09:02:12PM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On 2008 Nov 4, at 20:26, Jason Dagit wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty
> ><chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> >>
> >>Are you sure it does deinstall the 6.8 compiler?
> >>
> >>After installing 6.10, there should be a 608/ and a 610/
> >>directory.  This
> >>certainly happens on my Mac and I am not aware of an option to
> >>change that
> >>behaviour.
>
> I expect if you used the OSX installer then /Library/Receipts is
> screwing you (it wipes the old files listed in the .bom file).  Try
> finding and removing the receipt directory and bom file before
> installing.

The only file I can see that looks relevant is
    /Library/Receipts/boms/org.haskell.glasgowHaskellCompiler.ghc.pkg.bom

Wouldn't removing it make uninstall impossible?

In fact, if you did manage to get 2 versions installed, how would
    /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Tools/Uninstaller
know which version to uninstall? Wouldn't it only know how to uninstall
the version it came with? I'd suggest that the overlapping file
"Uninstaller" could be why the older version gets removed, but that
wouldn't explain why Manuel can install both at once.

Thanks
Ian