ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - MacOS installer

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue Nov 4 20:26:54 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty
<chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Jason Dagit:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
>>>
>>> How to get it
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>> The easy way is to go to the web page, which should be self-explanatory:
>>>
>>>      http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
>>>
>>> We supply binary builds in the native package format for many
>>> platforms, and the source distribution is available from the same
>>> place.
>>>
>>> Packages will appear as they are built - if the package for your
>>> system isn't available yet, please try again later.
>>
>> I'm on OSX and I currently have ghc-6.6.1 and ghc-6.8.3 (installed
>> from a pkg). I would like to add ghc-6.10.1 to my system.  I tried to
>> do this with RC1 of 6.10, but I found that it uninstalled my
>> ghc-6.8.3.
>>
>> What will I need to do to get both 6.8.3 and 6.10.1?
>
> Are you sure it does deinstall the 6.8 compiler?  Or does it just overwrite
> the symbolic links in /usr/bin?  To check, have a look at
>
>  /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions
>
> After installing 6.10, there should be a 608/ and a 610/ directory.  This
> certainly happens on my Mac and I am not aware of an option to change that
> behaviour.

I haven't tried the 6.10.1 install, but after using the 6.8.3 pkg
followed by the 6.10 RC1 pkg, followed by the 6.8.3 pkg, I have just
608 in the directory you mention.

I guess I should try the 6.10.1 install.  If I have to reinstall 6.8.3
again, not the end of the world for me.

> And while we are at it...a BIG FAT WARNING:
>
>  If you installed the 6.10.200081007 pre-release installer package,
>  uninstall that *before* installing the 6.10.1 package.

Okay thanks.  Although, I don't think that will be a problem for me
given the directories I can see.

Thanks,
Jason