ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.10.1 - MacOS installer

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Nov 4 19:26:20 EST 2008

Jason Dagit:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
>>
>> How to get it
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> The easy way is to go to the web page, which should be self-
>> explanatory:
>>
>>       http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
>>
>> We supply binary builds in the native package format for many
>> platforms, and the source distribution is available from the same
>> place.
>>
>> Packages will appear as they are built - if the package for your
>> system isn't available yet, please try again later.
>
> I'm on OSX and I currently have ghc-6.6.1 and ghc-6.8.3 (installed
> from a pkg). I would like to add ghc-6.10.1 to my system.  I tried to
> do this with RC1 of 6.10, but I found that it uninstalled my
> ghc-6.8.3.
>
> What will I need to do to get both 6.8.3 and 6.10.1?

Are you sure it does deinstall the 6.8 compiler?  Or does it just
overwrite the symbolic links in /usr/bin?  To check, have a look at

   /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions

After installing 6.10, there should be a 608/ and a 610/ directory.
This certainly happens on my Mac and I am not aware of an option to
change that behaviour.

And while we are at it...a BIG FAT WARNING:

   If you installed the 6.10.200081007 pre-release installer package,
   uninstall that *before* installing the 6.10.1 package.

For reasons, I don't understand, the installer otherwise half removes
the old package, but doesn't seem to install the new one.  Can a Mac
expert shed any light on that behaviour?

If you tried installing 6.10.1 before reading that, just remove the
partial installation you are left with, and install again.

Manuel