6.6.1 vs 6.8.2 --- Re: large binary footprint ?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed May 28 05:24:56 EDT 2008

Christian Maeder wrote:
> Don Stewart wrote:
>> hp:
>>> I convinced myself that the ~500kbytes for the 'hello' code is
>>> 'correct' in version 6.6.1.
>>> [ The exact size on the platform mentioned below
>>>   is 422k. ]
>>>
>>> Looks like version 6.8.2 blows up the binary code size
>>> significantly --- 3.9Mbytes vs 0.422Mbytes.
>>>
>>> Is this a known issue with 6.8.2 ?
>>> Is it a specific platform dependent issue --- i.e.
>>> does it occur on linux machines ??
>
> I can confirm HP's code size. I've no idea what went wrong (or
> differently):
>
> -bash-3.00$ ls -l hello
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 maeder   wimi     3907865 May 23 11:38 hello
>
>> That's platform dependent. It means on ghc 6.8.2 wasn't built with
>> split-objs enabled, so it includes a whole bunch of dead code normally
>> stripped out.
>>
>> Consult whoever built the ghc on your platform, to ensure
>> they know how to build with split objects.
>>
>> -- Don
>
> Object Splitting was enabled:
>
> -bash-3.00$ ll hello
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 maeder   wimi     3907865 May 23 11:38 hello
>
> -bash-3.00$ ghc --info
>  [("Project name","The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System")
>  ,("Project version","6.8.2")
>  ,("Booter version","6.8.1")
>  ,("Stage","2")
>  ,("Interface file version","6")
>  ,("Have interpreter","YES")
>  ,("Object splitting","YES")
>  ,("Have native code generator","NO")
>  ,("Support SMP","YES")
>  ,("Unregisterised","NO")
>  ,("Tables next to code","YES")
>  ,("Win32 DLLs","")
>  ,("RTS ways"," debug  thr thr_p thr_debug")
>  ,("Leading underscore","NO")
>  ]

If the libraries were built with -fvia-C, we occasionally get
incompabitilities with newer versions of gcc and end up duplicating too
much stuff in the split .o files.  If this is happening to you, please
report a bug.

Otherwise, please report a bug giving as much info as possible, and we'll
try to figure out what is wrong.