making GHC from source

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Mon May 19 08:37:40 EDT 2008

People,

I need to install ghc-6.8.2 from source.
As I recall, this needs  Happy and Alex. Right?
Among Happy versions, it is visible only a couple latest ones, and to install
any of them, one needs  Cabal.
Installing Cabal is as follows:
  make install
  mkdir -p dist/tmp
  ghc --make -cpp -Wall -DCABAL_VERSION=1,2,3,0 -i. -odir dist/tmp
                                           -hidir dist/tmp Setup.lhs -o setup
  make: ghc: command not found.

We have a `make' loop:    ghc --> Happy --> Cabal --> ghc

Old Happy was good: it did not require GHC -- as I recall. Do I mistake?
Now I have to install GHC from binary, and it will report of library version mismatch ...
and so on.
Do not you think that, generally, something is going wrong here?

Regards,

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru
http://www.botik.ru/~mechvel