ANN: ghc 6.8.2 from MacPorts

Gregory Wright gwright at comcast.net
Fri May 2 08:47:40 EDT 2008

Hi Wouter,

On May 1, 2008, at 11:50 AM, Wouter Swierstra wrote:

> On 1 May 2008, at 13:59, Gregory Wright wrote:
>>
>> I've patched MacPorts' ghc-6.8.2 to include the -no-user-package-conf
>> flag.  Wouter, could you check if this fixes the problem you had?
>
> I tried a "port selfupdate" and "port clean --all ghc", followed by
> a "port install ghc". I ran into the error below (seems like another
> file-locking bug).
>
> I Bjorn's advice (getting rid of the .ghc directory) - the build
> went through smoothly.
>
> I'm not sure what's going on here. Hope this helps,
>
>  Wouter
>
> --->  Fetching ghc

<snip>

> '/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
> .macports.org_release_ports_lang_ghc/work/destroot/opt/local/share/
> doc/ghc/libraries/$pkg' ; \
> 	fi
> Installing: /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
> .macports.org_release_ports_lang_ghc/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/
> ghc-6.8.2/lib/Cabal-1.2.3.0
> installPackage: copyFile: resource busy (file is locked)
>
> make[1]: *** [install.library.Cabal] Error 1
> make: *** [install] Error 1

Hmmm.  If I understand correctly, doing a "port selfupdate" and "port
clean --all"
gave a locking bug, but after you deleted .ghc, everything worked
properly?

The locking bug looks like #2134, which is fixed by a patch in
Macports' ghc-6.8.2.
The patch strictifies a readFile invocation in Cabal, so probably you
were still
using the out-of-date Cabal installed as a user package.  There are
two possible
causes: either -no-user-package-conf has a bug and doesn't always work
right, or
you still have the previous revision of the ghc port, before the -no-
user-package-conf
patch.  The latter can happen if there was some problem on the
Macports server that
delayed indexing the new portfile and serving it as a selfupdate.

Can you do a "port installed ghc" and verify that you have revision 3?

Best WIshes,
Greg