Inconsistent .hi files with associated types?

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Mar 25 02:12:22 EDT 2008

Niklas,

> =====================
> $ runhaskell Setup build
> Preprocessing library hsp-hjscript-0.3.4...
> Building hsp-hjscript-0.3.4...
> [1 of 1] Compiling HSP.HJScript     ( HSP/HJScript.hs,
> dist\build/HSP/HJScript.o )
> C:\Program\Haskell\hsp-0.3.5\ghc-6.8.2/HSP/Monad.hi
> Declaration for $f35
> Unfolding of HSP.Monad.$f35:
>  Can't find interface-file declaration for type constructor or class
> HSP.Monad.:CoF:R32XML
>    Probable cause: bug in .hi-boot file, or inconsistent .hi file
>    Use -ddump-if-trace to get an idea of which file caused the error
> C:\Program\Haskell\hsp-0.3.5\ghc-6.8.2/HSP/Monad.hi
> Declaration for $f6
> Unfolding of HSP.Monad.$f6:
>  Can't find interface-file declaration for type constructor or class
> HSP.Monad.:CoF:R5SetResult
>    Probable cause: bug in .hi-boot file, or inconsistent .hi file
>    Use -ddump-if-trace to get an idea of which file caused the error
>
> C:\Program\ghc-6.8.2\bin\ar.exe: creating dist\build\libHShsp-
> hjscript-0.3.4.a

Could you check whether the problem also occurs with the current GHC
6.9 (development version)?  There has been at least on bug that may
cause this sort of problem been fixed in 6.9, which may not have been
merged back to 6.8.  (Remember that we unfortunately cannot support
type families (and hence associated types) fully in 6.8 - this has
been discussed previously on this and/or the Haskell lists.)

Manuel