timer_create

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:12:02 EDT 2008

Christian Maeder wrote:
> Ian Lynagh wrote:

>> I'm not sure why we have both HAVE_TIMER_CREATE and USE_TIMER_CREATE.
>
> I'd like to know, too.

It's because the configure script checks for more than just the
existence of timer_create() (HAVE_TIMER_CREATE), it checks that it works
well enough to use (USE_TIMER_CREATE).  Historical versions of Linux had
broken implementations of timer_create() that we need to avoid.
Unfortunately this means that taking a GHC binary built on a newer Linux
will not work on an older version.

timer_create() is needed so that we can avoid needing to use the SIGALRM
signal, which interferes with other things (there are previous tickets
on this, a search for SIGALRM should turn them up).