scope of header files

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Mar 6 07:50:05 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:41:56PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> c2hs has to read the header files on your system to be able to check any
> consistency.
>
> I'm not sure why hsc2hs is the minimal tool. It relies on a C compiler
> where c2hs does not. What happens with Haskell implementations that do
> not bundle a C compiler (eg ghc in future on win32)?

Hmm... I am not quite sure how c2hs works then. like, how can it figure
out the offsets of fields in data structures without knowing the field
layout algorithm for a given architecture/os combo without invoking a c
compiler?

Though, if there were a way to figure that stuff out without a c
compiler in a portable way, that would be cool.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈