Illegal instruction with ghc-6.8.3 distribution (OS X Tiger)

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 13:30:58 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Christian Maeder
<Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> wrote:
> Judah Jacobson wrote:
>>
>> Christian, did you compile this distribution on a G5 PowerPC?
>
> Yes!
>
>> GMP is
>> statically linked into this distribution, so if it's using any
>> processor-specific instructions I could see that tripping up my G4.
>> If you or someone else can confirm that this works on a G5, then we
>> should probably just update the downloads page with that requirement.
>
> Your example works for me. Maybe my libgmp.a in <prefix>/lib/ghc-6.8.3/
> (that's used for linking) can be exchanged on a G4? My ghc-6.8.3 itself is
> linked against this very same libgmp.a (and seems to run).

OK, replacing that libgmp with a custom-built version fixed my
standalone GCD.hs example.  So that confirms the problem.

Unfortunately, that doesn't fix it for me; my real issue is that ghc
iself is getting the illegal instruction error, in the middle of
compiling haddock-0.9.  And since ghc is statically linked to libgmp,
it can't use the replacement lib for itself.  (Ironic, since
statically linking gmp is supposed to make installation _easier_ :-)
It's not a big problem for me, though; one of the ghc-6.8.2
distributions should work fine, and I can use them to build 6.8.3
myself.

Now that we've confirmed it, can someone please update the 6.8.3
downloads page  (Replacing "PowerPC" with "PowerPC G5", perhaps)?

Thanks,
-Judah